I love baking. It’s calming to me, but it also keeps me busy. ( and heavy).
It’s something I can enjoy doing alone or with my kids!
As I’ve gotten older, I’ve began to appreciate the term, “ from scratch” in a new way.
The presentation of this cake is absolutely stunning! And although this recipe is not completely from scratch, A box of golden yellow cake is used, however with all the little add ins, it still feels and tastes pretty home made / from scratch to me!!
I have to admit, this is a recipe I found online and it is 100% the BEST , most MOIST, and SWEETEST, pineapple upside down cake I’ve ever eaten or made in my life.
You’ve GOT to try it!!
If you do, let us know what you think!! Share your thoughts, tastebuds, advice and or improvisations in the comments section at the bottom of this post 🙂
Step-by-Step – Instructions
1. Prep. Preheat your oven to 350°F (175°C)
Coat your bundt / tube pan with butter and flour. *Flour helps to keep the cake from absorbing the butter as it melts, which helps the butter do its job & keep the cake from sticking. I actually forgot this step til i started step 3… soo I backtracked 🤷♀️
2. Melt butter.
Pour ¼ cup of your 1/2 cup melted butter into bundt/tube pan. Sprinkle 1 cup packed light brown sugar over melted butter. Make sure it is Spread evenly over the bottom of pan.
3. Arrange the fruit.
DO NOT DRAIN, but Remove all of the pineapple slices from a 20-ounce can & slice them into halves. (Set can with pineapple juice aside) Place the halves round side down in the bottom of your bundt/tube pan nestled into each of the ridges, evenly around, then place 1 maraschino cherry between each of the pineapple slices(16-20 cherries total, stems removed). Push on the cherries gently so they are firmly placed in the brown sugar.
4. Mix the cake batter.
Before you do that, Pour the canned pineapple juice into a measuring cup then add enough water to make 1 total cup of liquid. You can also add 2 tablespoons of cherry juice if you’d like!
Mix the cake batter as directed on the box adding your last ¼ cup of melted butter, the cup pineapple juice with water, and 3 large eggs. *The cake box usually calls for oil- replace it with the ¼ cup of melted butter.
Transfer & Bake
- Transfer. Pour the mixed batter into prepared bundt/tube pan gently so that the pineapple slices remain upright and the cherries stay put. do not spread.
- Bake. Place pan in the middle of your oven’s center rack & bake at 350°F (175°C) for 30-35 minutes– until an inserted toothpick, or butter knife comes out clean. ( if more time is needed, cook in intervals of 5 minutes at a time). Once fully baked, the cake should spring back to the touch.
- Remove and cool. Cover your cake with either a pizza pan, cookie sheet, or heat-safe serving platter and invert/flip the cake. Before removing bundt/tube pan, set aside for 5 minutes. (this allows the cake to release from the pan easily). *The pan will still be hot, so use two oven pads/dish towels to hold the edges of the pan with the plate. Make sure you have a tight hold, then gently invert/flip the bundt pan over
GRAND OPTION THE GLAZE!!
This is a little extra that may be too sweet for some, but for others mouth wateringly AMAZING!! This step is done before flipping the bundt/tube pan.
- Melt 1/2 cup of butter & mix with 1/2 cup of confectioners/powdered sugar & 1/4 cup of pineapple and or cherry juice.
- Poke. Using a skewer stick or something similar in size go around entire cake poking holes evenly around.
- Pour. Before Cake Cools, Pour butter Sugar mix over the top of the cake & let soak for about 5-7 minutes.
- Place Pizza Pan, cookie sheet, or heat safe plate over cake & flip/invert. Let sit this way for 5-10 minutes.
- Remove the bundt pan and continue cooling for 25 minutes, then serve warm or store for later.
Voila!!! You have a beautifully presented, sugary sweet treat to serve as dessert!!
Ingredients for Glaze
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and coat bundt / tube pan with butter & flour
- Pour the first 1/4 cup of melted butter into pan & sprinkle brown sugar over melted butter. Spread evenly over bottom of pan.
- Arrange halved pineapple slices around the bottom of pan, nestled into each ridge & place maraschino cherry between the slices. Gently push on each cherry, firmly placing them into brown sugar.
- Combine reserved pineapple juice with enough water to make 1 cup of liquid. Mix the cake batter as box directs, using the second 1/4 cup of melted butter, pineapple juice/water mixture & the eggs.
- Gently pour mixed batter into pan so the slices stay in place. Do not spread.
- Bake in middle of center rack at 350 for 30-35 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean. A fully baked cake will spring back to the touch.
- Mix Glaze ingredients (melted butter, pineapple juice, cherry juice & powdered sugar) until well blended.
- Poke a few holes around cake using a skewer or something similar. Then Pour Glaze mix over cake.
- Place heat safe plate, cookie sheet or pizza pan over cake in pan and invert/flip the cake. Set aside for 5 minutes to allow an easy release from pan.
- Remove the bundt/tube pan and continue cooling for 25 minutes. Serve warm, or store for later.
Leave a Reply